How to Sew Baby Shorts
Free Pattern Available in size 6-12mth
· 47cm of 1.5cm wide elastic
· 50cm of 112cm wide cotton fabric
· Sewing machine
· Overlocker for finishing hems (or you can use the sewing machine to finish hems)
· Sewing cotton to match the fabric
1. Cut out all pieces and 47cm of elastic. 4 x shorts pattern (2 for front and 2 for back) and 1 x waits band.
2. Pin, sew and overlock the front pieces right sides together at outer edge and crotch seam, keeping curved seam open.
3. Pin, sew and overlock the back pieces right sides together outer edge and crotch seam, keeping curved seam open.
4. Pin, sew and overlock the curved crotch right sides together, making sure to keep the middle seam aligned in the centre.
5. French seam the bottom edges of the shorts (detailed instructions in my video)
6. Sew the waistband on the short side to form a loop.
7. Fold waist band in half, length-ways and sew onto the top of shorts, right sides together. Make sure to keep 4-5cm opening to put elastic in.
8. Pin a safety pin or use an elastic tool to thread elastic through waistband.
9. Sew remaining opening together and finish seams on overlocker.
10. Push elastic down to bottom edge seam against shorts front/back and sew an elastic ‘casing’ along the top edge. Stitching should be close to elastic but cannot catch it as we will disperse the gathers.
11. Disperse elastic gathers evenly around the waist band and voila! The shorts are complete! Yay! You did it J
1. If you don’t want the shorts to have a ruffle, more suited to boys or if you would just like plain shorts. Adjust the waist band to be only 0.5cm wider than the elastic you are using and ignore step 10.
Date PostedMonday, 22 January 2018 - 8:58am
Join my mailing list :)
Search my blog
Popular Catergoriesbaby bandana beginners crochet cute dog easy face painting kids monster sewing tutorial
Gem has been running her business for over seven years and has official qualifications in Fashion and Design among other things. Gem began creating and learning how to sew and do crafty things when she was a small child with her grandma, she has fond memories of being taught the skills needed, and more importantly the fun she had with her grandma while she grew up. Gem is a passionate colourful person who is not content unless something new is being learnt or created by herself.